Total Pageviews

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Undo and Other Necessary Evils

They say the kids today are more adept (which only draws further attention to my ineptness) at technology, not only because they are growing up with this new medium, but because they are willing to experiment and try things out. My 17 year old son said to me recently "I don't understand why you don't just try things on the computer."  This caused my eyes to roll almost out of my head.  In fact I do try things. I'm just very good at finding things.

Today, I was using Word.  A good, familiar word processing program.  I was was cutting and pasting from one document to another, when whoosh, my bolded section (the whole page) was deleted when I inexplicably hit delete by accident. Holy shit. Rush to the "undo" feature and re-wooshed it  back into existence.  There are so many things wrong with this scenario, I can hardly begin to list them all.

First of all, turns out my teenage son was wrong and I can cause bad things to happen on the computer, so my fear if justified.

Secondly,  who decides when "are you sure you want to delete this?" cautionary warning is used, and when it isn't?  If I'm deleting a typo, then I'm good, but it I'm deleting a whole page, a question would be nice.

Most importantly, why isn't there an UNDO button on actions I've taken in real life?  Can you imagine the differences you'd make to your life. Now I'm not talking about long term regret, like I should have stayed in school, or made a different career choice. No, I'm talking about short term actions that you can undo.  Something you just did like:

-  I think I will let that guy buy me a drink
-  I will not wear high heeled shoes when I know I'm going to be walking around and just want to look hot
-  no one will notice these socks don't match
- there's not THAT much cat hair on this shirt, I can still wear it again
-  I will eat my spaghetti on a busy NYC subway. No one will care or mind

Did you see that video on Youtube?  Oh geez, I don't want to watch strangers eating thanks. I'll decide for myself who I want to watch eat, I want veto power over that.  And don't eat chips beside me if you're not prepared to share.  It's just not fair. Have you smelled freshly opened chips?  Exactly.  It's bad enough I have to tolerate how people smell, let alone watch them eat.  When you smell like an ashtray from a big party and there is no smoking actually going on, I want to hit you with  the Lysol.  Seriously.  And don't smell like food either. That's no better.  Are people unaware when they reek?  How is that possible?  On a hot summer day, I load up on deodorant and pray I will go unnoticed if I step outside my air conditioned house/car/shopping venue.  I would be mortified if I smelled.  Have these people no shame?  Oh and keep your "fragrances" to yourself people. You aren't sexy when you just make my nose run.  Oh wait, I'm not sexy then either.  Especially when I'm eating spaghetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment